View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Looking for a new fly rod...

While everyone makes good points I have to give the nod to Joe's comment (lowtech joe) that is.

If you would be interested in a Fenwick (I used these for years before I got that Orvis) they sell on the auction site regularly. Prices run from $50 on the low end to $100 for some. They are a bit heavier in the hand than a modern graphite rod but not by much and they are a pretty bomb proof rod. Heck you can pair one up with an old Pflueger 1495 and kill 2 birds with one stone, (can't believe I said that ) because the outfit will work very well and when you run into someone out fishing they may actually ask about your gear. Vintage stuff is cool because although people may ask about your rod & reel if they are Sage & Lamson, they too may be holding very similar gear. If you are holding a 1977 Fenwick with an Akron built Pflueger on it the other guy may not have one of them.

All that is just a personal slant on this topic. I understand the excitement involved in buying the cutting edge rods of the day. They are the ones found in the ads in the magazines, and they line the racks at the fly shops too. However, a fella can build a good solid outfit using used or 'new old stock' buys from the auctions at a very reasonable cost. Just say'en,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;