View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Too much attention to distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
All I can say is that there is no downside whatsoever to casting well. Casting is such an integral part of fly fishing that it's silly to try and justify mediocrity in casting.
I will bet you that those who can cast good distance have already learned how to catch fish and excelled at the 20-30-40' range long ago.
When fishing for gulpers, or on a pond with rising brookies, I've had friends pray a trout would cruise close enough for them to get a shot and on the pond once we tagged the sippers at their max range it was game over as all they could do is watch. Again, there's no downside to casting well.
PS... though I have a few modern, fast rods I enjoy the heck out of fishing my old Scott G's and IM-6 rods as well as an occasional trip with cane (which I still don't 'get' by the way!)
I think you missed his point entirely. He's saying that casting far does not equal casting well.

I'll also throw myself in the club of folks who worked on casting far before casting well. This club will exist as long as testosterone does.

The initial post also brought up the oft neglected point about setting a hook well after a 90' presentation. Don't even try it with a rod sweep, and you better make a violent full arm swinging strip set to offset the stretch in your line and leader. The only sure way to do it is with the violent strip set and then a violent rod sweep, and God help ya if you miss the jaw, cuz yer fly will now be 40' away from the fish.

That said, of course I'll attempt some 60'+ hook-ups the next time I'm out.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.