View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too much attention to distance?

Nowadays people seem to equate better casting with expensive gear.
I have a real problem with that.
The 'quality' and the amount you paid for your gear has nothing to do with your skill level.
That's all about practice and 'time on the water'.
If someone wants to pay $100 for a line or $700 for a rod so that they can cast 10 or 15 feet more than I can with my $10 line and my $60 rod.... that's their business.
But they shouldn't be telling newbies that that's what they need to get the job done.

I fish saltwater most of the time, and I can't tell you how often I've heard people say that you need to be able to cast 'xx' amount of distance if you want to catch fish.
I stand on the beach all the time, shakin' my head, watching people cast waaay past where the fish are holding in the wash. When they strip the line in and a fish 'takes' right at their feet, they think that the fish followed their fly in and took at the last second.
You can't tell them that a cast of 10' followed by a dead drift would have done the job.... they never believe it

.....Jack, I don't 'get' bamboo either, big fan of (vintage) glass though