View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Whatcha readin'?

Hi Paul,

I've been there many times, it is however sometimes strange how things are discovered. Although I had been to the Battlefield several times by 1980, it was after reading of George Custer's defeat at Little Big Horn after attending a lecture at the Custer Battlefield Memorial in 1981 that I realized that this man had a history that went much farther than his famed defeat. I returned to Gettysburg and traced Custer's Calvary battles there. Then, while living in Virginia and visiting the Shenandoah River Valley I learned of his 'inglorious' legacy when he served under General Sheridan in the Shenandoah Campaign.

The Civil volume's I cited follow the situation from arguments and assaults on the 'floor of the United States House of Representatives' to the shots at Fort Sumter, and then on to Antietam - Cold Harbor - Gettysburg etc. The Stillness at Appomattox picks up where the Army of The Potomac ends and follows the conflict to Antietam Courthouse and the aftermath.

A second note about the books about the history of Pennsylvania and what we now know as The Mid Atlantic area; every book I purchased from the publishing house which was located 21 miles from my home town, is extraordinary. Only those who will seek out the history of this area will understand that the Indian Wars of Pennsylvania were far more crucial to both the young country and its Native inhabitants than the battles of the western plains.

If you fly fish Pennsylvania - OH. NY. and so forth the names of towns and rivers / creeks will take on new meaning to you. You will quickly realize that you are walking the same ground as did the Delaware, Seneca, Mohawk, et al. No state in the Union has more locations bearing the original Indian Name for that place or region than Pennsylvania, that's a fact that I didn't realize until I began reading the history.

It is sometimes brutal, sometimes a wonderment of mankind the things that built this land we call America. Most all of these books cover the period from first settlements through the Revolutionary War. I found the early history of the French and Indian alliance and the war with England that ensued to be the most captivating of all.

The link to the book store is on the thread a posted above this one You folks should take a look........................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;