Thread: new 2wt rod
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default new 2wt rod

Winter is tough! Very little opportunity to get out and fish, so the mind (mine at least) gets to work overtime trying to figure out the perfect combination of rod, reel, line, fly, and fish to provide excitement.

Decided since I've never had a 2wt outfit I should try one.

Ordered a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional rod 8'0" 3pc 2wt to fill that empty hole me mind created.

I already had a reel with a DT2F line spooled (use it on my glass 3wt rod), so I was set to cast shortly after the rod arrived.

The morning after it arrived and I set it up (and lawn cast it for a while) I had a job that required driving past a farm pond that just happens to hold a good population of big bluegills. Since the weather has been unusually warm here and it was going to be warm again that day (my birthday BTW) I allowed a couple extra hours for the job (plumbing call).

Finished the job and on my return trip I stopped at the pond. Assembled the rod and tied on a #12 green weenie. Cast it and allowed the fly to slowly sink. As it was floating down I saw the leader twitch unnaturally, so I set the hook!

Click the image to open in full size.

Managed to catch several 8-10" 'gills and I must say even though they weren't up to much of a fight as compared to warmer water catches, they were still fun on the new outfit!