View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 11:45 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking for a guide in the keys/s. miami area

I've never had a guide either, other than deep sea fishing (more like a skipper baiting lines).

My first week of salt water fly fishing was a learning experience (we were on Islamorada, then down on the Yucatan in Mexico). Caught a baby barracuda, small snapper, and a baby bonefish. Missed a few others and had some cool sightings. Seeing a 3-4 foot nurse shark swim right under the nose of a stand-up-paddle board in 4 feet of water was amazing. Should have been fishing a weighted shrimp instead of that deceiver!

I learned I have no idea when or where to fish the tides. Common sense put me on a few fish, but it became obvious that a guide would be extremely helpful. A rental kayak made things easier getting around the 'groves in the keys. I tried to tip the rental guy for delivering the boat; he turned out to be the owner and refused the tip, but as a thank you told me about a hard to find 'hurricane hole' through a shallow passage. Turned out to be the best fishing spot we found, and the only place we were not fighting current.