View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 10:45 AM

tbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking for a guide in the keys/s. miami area

I've never had a guide either, other than deep sea fishing (more like a skipper baiting lines).

My first week of salt water fly fishing was a learning experience (we were on Islamorada, then down on the Yucatan in Mexico). Caught a baby barracuda, small snapper, and a baby bonefish. Missed a few others and had some cool sightings. Seeing a 3-4 foot nurse shark swim right under the nose of a stand-up-paddle board in 4 feet of water was amazing. Should have been fishing a weighted shrimp instead of that deceiver!

I learned I have no idea when or where to fish the tides. Common sense put me on a few fish, but it became obvious that a guide would be extremely helpful. A rental kayak made things easier getting around the 'groves in the keys. I tried to tip the rental guy for delivering the boat; he turned out to be the owner and refused the tip, but as a thank you told me about a hard to find 'hurricane hole' through a shallow passage. Turned out to be the best fishing spot we found, and the only place we were not fighting current.

Instagram page @tblom77