View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Too much attention to distance?

I worked on my dbl haul for distance casting, to get that fish just a little further out, you know, the one that is on the other side of the river that you'll drown trying to wade to. Then I found that I couldn't hook him when he did take the dry, or he short struck the streamer or The current put a belly in the line, or I was casting over seams & a good drift was impossible, or if I did hook him close I had to contend with 40' of line I had stripped in to get him on the reel.... Anyway most of my fishing is now done within 40' & I do manage to hook up most of the time. I do haul occasionally to punch into wind or just for the hell of it but I'm a believer in accuracy & presentation now. Hell. casting far wears you out. I can't do it consistently on a 1 week trip or my arm will fall off. I now notice that after a full day of fishing when I get tired I'll start getting tailing loops so that's when I go back to basics & really short casts..
I have quite a few rods, some high end & most I built myself on medium priced blanks. They all cast differently & if I change rods it might take a little time to get in the timing groove for that rod but it happens. I don't equate $ spent on a rod or line as as making a good fisherman..... We've all been outfished by the local kid with the Wal-mart setup at one time or another.