View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 02:17 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Does blue excite the trout?

silver creek,

you said:
Quote:
Therefore, the statement that the red, green and blue cones respond to UV should not be take to mean that they take the place of the UV cone or that as the UV cones regress, that the UV light stimulation of these cones increases to compensate. So the fish cannot separate what is UV and not UV light stimulating the red, green and blue cones.

The same is true of the rods at dusk. They perceive light intensity and not color so if shades of grey on a fly reproduce the light reflectivity of an insect, it would match the insect, regardless of the color.
It is a strawman because it does not relate to the real issues. I don't disagree with what you wrote above, but, it is irrelevant. The fish doesn't need to know what is UV or not UV, it simply needs to receive the same general visual impression from a possible food item that it did from the last similar food item it successfully harvested. You may have colors on your fly that produce the same shades of gray as the natural; but if the natural has UV markings (as many insects do), the absence of those markings will be clearly evident to the fish. This is why one dressing of an Adams dry might beat another when fishing the same water, same hatch. Both artificials may appear the same to our eyes, but the difference in dubbed body, for example, in the UV may be great.

You said:
Quote:
I took the information that trout perceive UV as blue directly from your post. You wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmywaders

Further, as Inigo Flamarique, who believes that trout lose all but a small percentage of their UV-specific cones at smoltification, wrote:

Quote:

MAIN SENSORS OF THE UV LIGHT WILL NOW BE THE BLUE CONES (WHICH HAVE THE PEAK ABSORBANCE-LAMBDA MAX- NEAR THE UV PART OF THE SPECTRUM).

Therefore, your allegation that I think I know how trout perceive blue should be directed at Inigo Flamarique, whom you quoted.
silver, Flamarique never used the term "perceive", nor was he writing about perception, but sight. You were the one who said "I think they perceive UV as more blue than UV." Perception and sight should not be confused.

You said:
Quote:
Regarding the dressing of flies with UV reflective materials, I agree that it would be useful if we knew what materials matched the UC spectrum of the natural we are imitating. That is the conundrum.
Well, we agree on that. That is why I spent so much time and energy photographing natural and artificial flies and fly tying materials in UV light.

You said:
Quote:
Since we do not see into the UV, we cannot tell if the natural has UV reflectivity, much less the intensity and shade of UV to use. I believe some insects such a beetles do reflect UV, but until there is some type of color system of UV material to match specific insects, I cannot see the benefit of using UV for UV sake except as an attractant strategy rather than a color matching strategy.
Again, a reason why I wrote the book. BTW, the beetles I photographed had no UV reflective markings (of course, one might say that almost zero reflection is marking in itself). However, that doesn't mean that no beetles wear interesting UV markings.

For $120.00 or less you can buy a used Sony camcorder, then another $145.00 for a UV bandpass filter, and you will have a system to view and record any insect or tying material in the UV.

http://overmywaders.com