Originally Posted by woolybugger53
I have a suggestion for a way to practice your roll casts on grass.
- Take your forceps and wrap the fly line through the finger loops several times.
- Clamp the end of the forceps to the end of the fly line.
- Stick the pointy end of the forceps into the ground.
- Walk back about 25-30 feet, and turn and face the forceps you stuck into the ground.
- The fly line should be in a loosely straight line going back to you.
- Adjust the distance or fly line accordingly and start practicing your roll casts.
- It works great on grass.
- You can use a clipboard if forceps are not available.
Are you then casting the forceps?
Like Jackster said, I use a grass leader, which is mono with a dozen or so blood knots with the ends as stubs to catch the grass.