View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Too much attention to distance?

Boy I don't know Mike, Cliff has a point. With a full spool of six lb line on a ten foot Zebco Noodle rod I could toss a lip hooked shiner 100' with no added weight.

The problem with going for extreme distance with your fly rod is that nasty business of the backcast! Trying to keep it off the water or out of the stream side cobble stone is hard enough but finding a spot where you actually have 90' of backcast room is a trick in itself.

Now for the issue of wading out there then trying to {'comfortably'} muster a 90' cast, unless you are wading in 2" of water every step you take you are getting shorter because you are getting in deeper. There is a point where it doesn't matter how well you can cast the conditions may make it less than relaxing to try a long one.

I'm 6'5" and my arms give me an effective 8'6" reach, add to that a 9' fly rod and you have a 17' 6" casting platform. I can launch some line given my strength and coordination level but it is not any fun once I pass the 70 - 80' range. If I'm standing in 4' of water that cuts at least ten foot off my terminal range.

None of these factors, backcast, height, or depth of water that I'm standing in would have any great effect on how far I could fling a one ounce lure on that spinning rig I used to use for bass. I figure lures fly farther than fly lines usually.

Ard