View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default First spey...Need help

I posted this over on the Spey forum and have got in touch with a few spey gurus but thought I might as well post here here to get even more imput. I'm a total spey "newb" so all imput is welcome!

I have been thinking about getting a two handed rod for a while now and want to dive into the spey game, the problem is that I am a complete novice when it comes to the spey world. I come to the forum hoping that I can be steered in the right direction for my first long rod. I'm thinking that a spey or switch rod would be a lot more practical for fishing the tail water of the North Platte river in Ogallala Nebraska that is not to far down the road from me. Near the gates, it is somewhat wadeable depending on the time of the year and outflow. Down river there is steep drops offs, deep water, high banks, and obstructions in your back cast. I normally use a 9ft 5wt single hander, which gets the job done to a point. Bombing bigger streamers and indicator rigs in to wind all day starts to get tiresome. I feel that a switch or spey rod would give me much more performance and distance with less physical effort. An average fish will run 15-18", but there is a good possibility for a nice size rainbow running 23"+. The state record rainbow came out of here several years ago weighing 14.5 lbs, so there is rare chance that true brute could be hooked. I don't know what size rod I need. I was thinking the 3-5 wt trout speys on the market would fit the situation, but I don't want to be under/over gunned in terms of fly and fish size. How big of flies/fish could these rods handle? What rod(s) would you recommend for this situation? There is no shortage of wind in Nebraska, and more often than not, it is howling. I have never cast a spey or switch rod, or have even seen anyone use one in person. I think that using one would be a game changer on this particular piece of water. During winter flows are normally 10-200cfs. During summer the average flow is around 2500cfs+ on a good year, depending on the year it could be a lot less, like this summer where is was around 1000- 1500cfs.

Here are some pictures of the place I plan on using the rod. Across the waterfalls is around 250ft give or take, just to give you an idea of the size of the place.

Over the dam looking at about half of the first pool.
Click the image to open in full size.

Standing on top of the first set of falls looking at the spillway.

Back about 1/2 mile from the dam looking at the dam.

Standing on first set of falls looking down river.

Looking down river.

Looking across a set of falls.

Down stream a few miles on private property looking towards the dam.

If you have any more questions or need more information please feel free to ask.

Thanks for your help!
Chase