View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First spey...Need help

I agree with Ard here. I'd forget that 3-5 wt. thing. I have a 15' 8/9 wt. Meiser I could put at a 45 degree down river cast and hit the far bank with and not get my feet wet. Looking at the photos you have there I'd say maybe a 13' 7 or 8 wt. would be as light and small as I'd bring there if I was going to do it. I think there is a tendancy now days to want to under gun things. I keep looking at posts where they are using rods so small they seem like to much effort for no real advantage. You can make shorter casts than a rod is capable of, but going farther than a rod can do .....

One more thing. Size of fish is not the important factor in choosing a two hander. These are the delivery system for a fly. You need to determine where you, at the maximum, want to put a fly and then get the rod that at a minimum will do that.

I have a head of 56 feet on my 15' 8/9 Meiser. I use a 15' leader. Add the 15' rod + 15' leader + 56 head = 86 feet just rolling the head out. I have ripped farts that take more effort than putting a fly that far away.