View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: First spey...Need help

You will find that the essence of fishing the long rods is the wet fly. Because of this you will be allowing the current to do most of the fly presentation work and the fish will simply follow and grab the fly. With a 60 foot cast + leader on the water you won't have to worry about launching any fish when you 'strike'. Matter of fact I don't think I do what you could call 'strike' when a fish grabs onto the fly. If it is a heavy one I tug the line a couple times to ensure connection, but no launching of fish.

I think that people have this business of using ultra light rods to somehow make "the fight feel better" all turned around. I catch fish ranging in size from 12" to 40 pounds on my rods and the little guys are just as cool as the big ones. The difference when you have a heavy enough rod is that you can land a 12" fish with little in the way of theater, and bring in a monster while keeping control of the situation. Once you get to the end of the leader and the fly attached to it, the fish has no idea of what length or line weight your rod is. Remember when you use the rod you're expecting a big fish........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;