View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: First spey...Need help

If you're looking to retrieve some line after each cast I'd go with a Scandi or a Rage line and a 12' to 13' rod. For casting bigger flies and for dealing with windy conditions, I'd choose a Rage, which will also handle sinking flies and polyleaders better. (For both lines you'll need polyleaders.)

For delicate presentations - casting dry flies - I prefer a Scandi.

With long belly lines - though I've never cast one - you'll have trouble making shorter casts, but you won't have to retrieve after each cast. Also, many feel that longer belly lines are harder for beginners to cast.

BTW, Scandi lines are prone to blown anchors, so make sure you don't execute your lift too high or fast, and lift with your arms not with breaking your wrists.

Because the river looks pretty wide, I'd stay away from shorter switch and spey rods.

Finally, I would tend to err on the side of a heavier rod as it will help you cast heavier flies and fight fish without hurting them.

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster; 12-01-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: More info