View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deals you may want to look at

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
You got the GP reel, Dan? Hard to beat $60 for a good disc drag reel. Do you like the overall quality? For a die cast reel, does it fit tightly, no slop, etc?

thanks
Yah it seems to be a pretty nice reel. No slop, nice smooth drag with a low start up.

On another note, they only do this at the end of each year. They get rid of the last years models and will sell next years at the high price for almost the entire year then repeat the cycle. I agree that it seems like a game. I think more likely is that it is just a really bad marketing strategy. At some point to many people will catch on to the year end sale and that will end up being the only time they sell stuff. I think you are underestimating the reallity of this deal vs. normal pricing. When I bought my 15' 10/11 wt spey rod from them, I paid so little for it that I could not build the handle for what they charged me. I couldn't get a blank for what they charged me. They are losing money on this.

If I were in charge over there, I'd sell stuff full price all year and then dump what was left at that sale price or higher to someplace like overstock.com or Sierra Trading post. Give them some room for profit and not train people to kill my bottom line.

But since their marketing folks are willing to do it this way, we might as well take advantage of it till they wise up.