Thread: wood grip
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wood grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkfly View Post
I wouldn't worry about the lower grip on a two-handed rod coming apart if the wood was chosen carefully and if it were prepared and installed well. But I'd be thoughtful about putting a lengthy piece of wood at the upper end of a grip likely to see some heavy duty use --.
Yup. When I did the grip in the bottom of my 15' meiser, I made it from a number of different woods. It's the plywood principle. The heavy duty use thing needs to given consideration for the accidental fish. I have caught several Pike in the 40" zone with my 5 wt. You might think, "Oh, it's just a 5 wt.. Little fish won't hurt it." Then you hook some monster and your grip is blasting splinters into your hand.

All on my 5wt.:
Click the image to open in full size.