View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 05:52 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Catch and Release HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotsonnt View Post
I understand the big water areas will get to warm to hold the fish in the summertime but there is no reason some of the small mountain streams cannot be catch and release. I do not have a problem with people harvesting fish, BUT i do have a problem with people keeping 5inch native brookies when the big bows and browns are all gone from the big water streams in this region. All I'm asking for is a little help in preserving our small mountain streams and the native fish we have in this area. I'm not trying to be a jerk and say people should not be able to harvest a fish to eat. Hell i harvest a few stockers myself throughout the season. All im saying is we need to preserve what little population of wild or native fish we have in this region.
That point I do agree with very much. Like others have said education is key, places like TU are great starting places. Here we have an annual run of spawning brown trout and some are hogs and I do mean HOGS. The river is stocked with bows, has been stocked with cuts, browns, and brookies.
They do not stock browns any more, there is a natural population now with the spawners. I talked with a guy and asked why dont they make C&R rules for the browns when they are spwaing and easy to catch, he said if they did the trout stamp and fishing Lic. sales would drop off and they would loose the revanue, so every OCT-DEC I see folks turn stocker bows back so they can keep 5 browns. They have made a couple sections C & R only, but I see alot of people kill the browns they put back by rough handling, tearing gills, pulling deep hooks out, instead of cutting the line. Years ago this river was known for big bows and ofcourse they had no C&R rules in place now 1-3lb stockers is all ya catch and it wouldnt surprise me if the browns dont head the same way. Keep pestering you conservation agancy and get with the TU chapters and see what you can get done. There are still pleanty of folks out there that want to keep every thing they catch and its hard to change their minds, hopfully you can get a few to start thinking diffrent. good luck
Bear