View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 11:45 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: To tie or not to tie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin80 View Post
I am a beginner fly fisherman. Of course I have been going through quite a few flies. I was wondering if it was worth tying my own flies or just continue to buy them? I'm not an entomologist by any means. I barely know how to cast still. Is it worth the headache of learning all that is involved in tying flies right now or should I just concentrate on getting better at fishing than the actual flies for now?

Thanks in advance!
First off, welcome!

I recommend any serious fly fisherman to learn how to tie. Absolutely. It will eventually make you a better angler, and it is quite a pleasurable past time.

But if you are just learning to fly fish, you probably should not overwhelm yourself with info, which can be very easy to do.

There are many great fly tyers on this forum, and piles of fishing knowledge. Ask away!