View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What type of leader do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
I came across a video on youtube on making your own "furled" leaders. They're really twisted mono, but I like them a whole lot better than the commercially available tapered leaders. Plus, I enjoy making them!
I guess I'll wade in here. It's interesting to note the variety of opinions and preferences when it comes to leaders. A real testimony to the diversity of our sport and we who participate.

As lthrnk03 stated above, I too have discovered the simplicity and quality of hand "twisted" leaders made out of mono. I found the information in an article in a flyfishing mag quite a few years ago and I've been rolling my own ever since. They are simple to make, turn over like a dream from delicate dry flies to heavy multi-nymph rigs, and the cost to make them is very minimal. The transference of energy is as smooth as it gets in my opinion.

While I'm not here to discredit any other types of leaders, the question was what leader do you use, and this is what I use. From silver salmon in Alaska to a parasol nymph rig on my favorite spring creek for spooky brown trout, to fishing at depth in local stillwaters for aggressive rainbows, I use a twisted mono leader.

I rarely use anything but 2X mono to construct the leaders. Another real plus to using these leaders is they act much like a shock tippet having some stretch inherently built in to the design. I feel more confident if I have to fish 6X tippets to big browns in the spring creek. And, for those who might be a little heavy on the hook set, the stretch helps protect from leaving your fly in the fish when you set too hard or too quick.

My favorite multi-use leader is usually 8-feet long with a 30-inch piece of 2X on the terminal end to finish it off. For whatever type of fishing I do I will affix smaller tippets to the 2X depending on the circumstances - i.e.: dry flies, nymphing, streamers, etc.

I will post a step-by-step here on the site for those interested to learn how to "roll your own"!

Best Fishes,

Kelly