View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what weight spey line

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
I purchased an 11' Wright-McGill rod last summer and found the rating on the rod was way off. It said 5wt, but the "common cents" method gave me a rating of 11wt.
I spoke with Steve Godshall and he suggested a 525gr short head, which seems to be close.
I tried a wf11f line on the rod and it does well for overhead casting, but I think a wf10f would also work fine.

I'm thinking of buying a regular spey line to try since I'd like a longer head.

Would an 8wt spey be somewhere close?
On a 5wt 525 would be a lot of grains 'EXCEPT' for a short skagit head. As an example I have a 11 foot 6/7 (lined with one of Steve's beautiful custom cuts) and its a 27'5" scandi at 430. That said, with a Skagit you can be upwards 100 grains heavier on a given rod. It's that 'short mass' that rips a sink tip out of the water.

All be it a full on sink tip had better be pretty darned light with that light a rod. With my the rod described above I use either a sinking poly leader (any one you want) or one of Joni's sinking furled leaders.

fae