View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:03 AM

bigkais89 is on a distinguished road

Getting ready to head out to one if my fav western lake Ontario tribs this morning.

Weather:

Cloudy and drizzly
Pressure 29.87
38-42 degrees
Sunrise 7:30(ish)

Stream:

Good flow! Clear with that perfect amount of color.

Flies :

I spent the week tying size 12 and 14 egg flies and nuke eggs in natural colors on the advice of an experienced steelheader i recently met. Best flies today were chartreuse and white globugs, white with orange, white with oregon cheese and chartreuse with red blood dot. I caught all my fish on size twelves using these colors.

The Fish:

Went 5-9 in three hours, four steelies and a brown! Not bad at all. Several nice males in the 6-8lb range, a beastly 12ish lber and a big lakerun brown. Unfortunately, i only have pics of one of the smaller males and the larger male. I was stuck with nothin but the phone and touchscreens are finicky in the rain. Next fishing adventure ill remember my camera lol.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Technique:

The key today was plenty of shot to get the fly down the bottom and slowly ticking the gravel. I was using several dinsmores split shots about 18 inches up from the fly on the leader. Im not a huge indicator fan, so i was high sticking without an indicator feeling for takes. Worked out pretty good too!

Where?:

I found some great pocket water followed by a steep dropoff into a 6-9 foot hole that was 20 yds long. They were STACKED in there!

Ill prob be out again monday so another entry will be comin soon. Thanks for readin everybody!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by bigkais89; 12-08-2012 at 10:14 AM.