Well I'm still finding damage from the lightning strike. It fried a bunch of the wiring in my heater. I found one part of it a few weeks ago when I did a load of clothes in the washer. The spin cycle after the first rinse shook the house enough to make contact between the metal case for the heaters wiring and the bare metal coil in the wire nut that had the side blown off of it in the strike. I did not find it right away either. I first just scratched my head wondering why the washer did not do the second rinse and spin. Tossed the clothes in the dryer and went back to what ever it was I was doing. When the buzzer on the dryer went off I put the clothes on the bed and went to turn on the TV in the bedroom while I folded it. I hit the on button on the remote and tripped a bunch of breakers. Imagine my surprise.
I started to try and find the problem at this point. I could not reset the Washer/Heater breaker. Dead short. The only things on that circuit are the washer and the heater. I looked in the box for the washer. Looked good. I looked in the heater and found the offending wire nut. I fixed the problem and thought that was it. The other day I had the heater do a weird BANG!. It was enough to knock the picture of Babe Winkleman, autographed, from my tackle room wall. The next night the heater stopped altogether. I did some more looking. I pushed on a wire where the wire nut had been and I got arcing and sparking and the heat started. and then stopped. I then turned the on/off switch to off and the heat turned on. I looked at the bottom of the switch and one terminal was at a really odd angle and then I noticed it had been blasted as well. In that one little box it blew the side off of a wire nut, blew a hole in the black wire's insulation where the wire clamp is, and blew the heck out of the on/off switch. That made the heater do a 'stall' refire. It took unburned gas and put it up in the heat exchanger and then reignited. When it did, the gas in the heat exchanger exploded and swelled the heat exchanger out a bit. My heater guy says it is no longer safe and for a mere $3100 I can replace it.
Now I am kind of wondering about the rest of the wiring in the house. I'm going to have an electrician look it over. That's three times I have been whacked by lightning since I have moved here. Lost a phone each one of them. Damaged three computors, one permanently. A VCR. Did a weird thing to a TV you would not believe. I need to figure out what Gypsy I made mad. Most annoying. On the bright side, my home owners insurance should cover it.
Originally Posted by stl_geoff
the house I grew up in was hit with lightning several times
Annoying isn't it? What I don't get is that it seems to miss the neighbors. Last time I was on the roof I didn't see a target painted on it. I am going to put up a lightning rod though. Three times is enough.