View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 09:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Severe electrical event

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
I had some similar problems from a lightning strike across the street, about 40' away. It didn't cause any circuit or surge trips, but the computer shut down-I was on line at the time. Some sort of EMP, I guess. Big purple flash-BOOM right outside the window. I about cr*apped.

I missed this original posting so this is a bit late. Know how JoJer feels. Had vineyards here in Southern Oregon for years. Miles and miles of #10 wire for vine training, etc. All connected to steel posts driven into the ground.

Talk about a lightning rod looking for a place to happen. Several major storms but only one actually 'hit the wires.' To my surprise no damage at all to the wire system(s) but did get more than a few vines 'fried.' Only real damage was a bolt that hit the main water filter system. Blew the hell out of a $1,500 electronic valve control board.

You couldn't see any obvious damage (which always struck me as odd) but the installer of my water system said 'You're still under warranty ...' Ordered a new one up and just snapped same into place and turned the power back on.

Worked like a champ.

fae