View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Heavy Line Bite Tippet Knot

I know there have been some questions in prior threads about how to attach the fly to very heavy bite tippets for tarpon and other larger fish. I asked my father-in-law, who is in Costa Rica right now, to video our favorite guide "Speedy" tying on a fly. So here it is. he is attaching 130 pound mono to one of our weighted tarpon flies. the knot is basically a version of the Lefty No-Slip Knot, but only going around the main-line once instead of multiple times. We have never had a Tarpon cause this knot to fail, and as you can see at the end of the video, it is easy to un-do to change flies. I would not try this version of the knot for lines lighter than 80 pound.

I have never tried attaching a video before.....so here goes....

Click the image to open in full size.

By the way his name is actually "Spide", but they pronounce it "speedy".

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Last edited by mrfzx; 12-10-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling