View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Magnifying Lamp or Headband Magnifier?

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the forum! I hope that you will take the time to look though our many Sub Forums (just click 'Forums' on the menu bar above) where you can find about any subject you could think of being discussed.

About your question; I've been using a Jewelers Lamp since before I really needed one. Most are equipped with a 4" 3.5 X magnifier lens. The fact that there is a light under the head that puts the beam right where I need it was the deciding factor for me. The one pictured below was purchased at a Home Depot store for 29.99.

Click the image to open in full size.

I use a 40 watt spot light type bulb in mine and it works for both tying and photographing flies at the vise. It also lights the bench top so that all materials are easy to spot while working. When I lived down east I found the lamps handy when tying dries or nymphs down to size 20 or smaller. The magnifier made it possible to get great detail on even the smallest of dries.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;