View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 PM

busbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud of
Default Why does my line fall all squiggly?

Can't make it any more descriptive than that...I have to admit, I am a newbie and am probably doing a lot of things wrong. The only thing I have really been doing is the basic roll cast. Sometimes it works like a charm; other times, it don't go nowhere; but, most of the time, it falls like a snake in the water.

Here are a couple things I know that I do:

1. I muscle it too much. Must be carryover from spin casting.
2. I "think" I am bringing my forward cast down too far because it seems like the rod is at the 9:00 or even 8:00 spot but I can't figure out if I am coming to a stop prior to that or not...probably makes no difference.
3. It seems to me that I may be straightening my arm out as I cast. Sort of like I am trying to put English on a cue ball after I shoot the shot.

I swear I cast TWICE almost all the time. The first cast usually stinks because I don't even lift the fly out of the water. Other times, it squiggles much more than usual and I hastily pull it back in and try again.

I know I need to relax because I have proven that to myself but it seems like I tense up all the time trying to get that fly to go further.

By the way, you guys have created a monster. I just HAD to go out again today even though it was raining pretty darn hard. Went to a smallish, way overfished creek by my house and none of the rocks I am used to seeing were less than six-inches below water. Did manage to catch a nice small mouth but lost four flies in a little over an hour's worth of fishing. But had a really good time, except for the horrific casts.