View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Why does my line fall all squiggly?

Can't make it any more descriptive than that...I have to admit, I am a newbie and am probably doing a lot of things wrong. The only thing I have really been doing is the basic roll cast. Sometimes it works like a charm; other times, it don't go nowhere; but, most of the time, it falls like a snake in the water.

Here are a couple things I know that I do:

1. I muscle it too much. Must be carryover from spin casting.
2. I "think" I am bringing my forward cast down too far because it seems like the rod is at the 9:00 or even 8:00 spot but I can't figure out if I am coming to a stop prior to that or not...probably makes no difference.
3. It seems to me that I may be straightening my arm out as I cast. Sort of like I am trying to put English on a cue ball after I shoot the shot.

I swear I cast TWICE almost all the time. The first cast usually stinks because I don't even lift the fly out of the water. Other times, it squiggles much more than usual and I hastily pull it back in and try again.

I know I need to relax because I have proven that to myself but it seems like I tense up all the time trying to get that fly to go further.

By the way, you guys have created a monster. I just HAD to go out again today even though it was raining pretty darn hard. Went to a smallish, way overfished creek by my house and none of the rocks I am used to seeing were less than six-inches below water. Did manage to catch a nice small mouth but lost four flies in a little over an hour's worth of fishing. But had a really good time, except for the horrific casts.