For a first attempt, I think you did an exceptional job! Very well done. If it makes you feel any better, I did exactly what you did the first time I tried one. I put the eyes and carapace on the same side, which as Dan says puts that on the bottom. That's an easy change to make, and now you know what you need to do to correct it.
I'm also of the opinion that you could thin out the claws a bit. I constantly am reminding myself-- "less is more" when it comes to materials. Also, now that I have more time logged at the bench, I'm much more deliberate with my steps. This is especially true with new to me patterns. Dan gave a great suggestion to make a few wraps at the base of the claws, that will help them keep their form when moving through the current. Maybe add a few strands of flash in the claws too, on a few of them.
Great looking fly though, very nicely done