View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why does my line fall all squiggly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post

The more I think of it, the more I think I may be best served by going to that free LL Bean class or go to my local Orvis shop and get a one-on-one lesson for $35 or $40.
That could very well be the best investment you will make in fly fishing.
Watching video and reading books is good reinforcement and excellent for unburying some secret that might fix a fault you find yourself throwing but you have to first know what good is to compare to.
I good instructor will give you instant feedback that you use right then and there to reinforce what you are learning. A good instructor will also know and explain your faults and teach you the cures for them.
I'm not completely happy when instructing until the student corrects the fault(s) they're working on on their own.
It does a teacher good when the student throws a bad cast and out loud says what he did wrong and then takes the steps to correct it himself. It is rather shocking how many people I work with will say out loud that they blew a cast, why it went bad and what they'll do to correct it.
Practice after a lesson with a good instructor produces good, corrective practice as the student now knows the fault and how to correct it.

If you go the this site: Councils find the council in your area and hopefully an IFFF club in your area. The IFFF makes no bones about it, amongst promoting conservation for all fish in all waters, it is a fly fishing educational organization whose goal is to promote fly fishing in all of it's many facets from tying to casting to conservation.
The reason I brought this up (and got sidetracked it seems!) is because each club generally has the staff and gear to help you along in your journey as a fly fisher.
The annual conclaves or festivals each council generally has each year is usually crammed with classes, speakers and other opportunities to learn from the best. Check 'em out!