View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 11:04 AM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why does my line fall all squiggly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I'll agree that videos are better than no video BUT they are not the total solution even with practice.

Here's the problem I see again and again. The newbie thinks he/she is doing what the the caster in the video is doing but they are not. Typically, they go way to far back, they use too much arm extension, they have poor stops, etc, etc.

The problem is they cannot see themselves cast, and so they have no point of reference from which to make the needed corrections. Is it not logical that if you are going to learn from a video, you should have a video of yourself to compare what you are doing with what the video instructor is doing?

Even when I am standing by their side, most newbies cannot duplicate what I tell them to do unless I break their casting motion down, and make stepwise corrections.

The crux of the issue is that practice does not make perfect. Perfect Practice makes perfect. The great majority of beginners trying to teach themselves, cannot practice perfectly without seeing themselves cast or having someone knowledgeable correct them.

The beauty of teaching a group of people to cast is that I can point to another beginner with the same casting fault, and show them what they are doing right or wrong. So the other caster becomes the "video" of what the caster is doing right or wrong.

Correcting a casting fault by yourself is a three step process. First you need to see what the fault is with your own eyes. Step two is to try to correct the fault. Step three is to verify that you have corrected the fault. All three require the beginner to "see" the fault and the correction.

How can the beginner do all three steps by himself? It is d*mn hard without a video of himself as a reference.

An example is the backcast. It is very difficult for a beginner to "feel" the backcast so he turns and watches his backcast to get visual cues. It is apparent that the original poster is unable to "see" or "feel" what he is doing wrong. If he could, there would be no need to ask for help. Thus, I suggest a video.
Didn't mean to light a fire under you. I simply stated that the videos helped me tremendously. I didn't know about the 2 and 10 positions or making a stop or any of that and after watching a few good videos that explained those things I was able to make much better casts, I didn't say it was going to make me an expert caster or that I was done by just watching videos. I too should still go take a class but for now on a **** rod, reel, line combo, I'm making casts that catch fish now when, before, I wasn't doing so well.

THE VIDEOS HELPED ME!!