View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 AM

mikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vancouver Island as a first timer?

It's been a while since I was there. Here are a couple of links that might help if you haven't found them.

BC Sport Fishing - North Vancouver Island: Port Hardy, British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Island | Tourism BC - Official Site

I was there late summer and the rivers were low and warm. I did not fish them due to the conditions. I did fish sea run cuttys and pinks in bays and river mouths and I fished some lakes for nice bows.

Don't forget the stillwater fishing on the Island. I would imagine that in fall they would really turn on for a guy with a toon or float tube.

For accommodations, my wife and I did the B&B thing and had good luck. Probably not what you and your pal are looking for.

In Cambell River these guys were really good to us:
River Sportsman Outdoor Store, Campbell River fishing, hunting, camping

I'd contact fly shops and guides to talk with them about the strength of anadromous returns in the rivers. I recall that their runs were down when we were there. Google is your friend.

Good luck! I loved the island and will go back in a while. Don't miss the west and north parts. :-)

-Mike