View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First tenkara flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Those are some great looking flies. I can pretty much guarantee you will catch fish with them. The #6 are a little bit on the large size, I think you'll find you have the best luck using 12 - 14s.

If you are fishing moving waters, a couple of considerations -

Choose your hackles depending on the type of water you'll be fishing, stiffer hackles for faster currents.

The best advice I can give you is to vary your presentation, if you aren't catching fish using a dead drift, animate your presentation. Swing your fly, twitch it, skate it .... If you aren't catching fish, don't change your fly, change your presentation. Flies like the ones you tied are fairly nondescript, purposely so. They look a little bit like alot of different things. So rather than rely on your fly to look exactly like this or that, you want it to behave exactly like this of that. (hope that makes sense).

Have fun!
Thanks for the feedback! I'll work on some on smaller hooks. Tied a few on #12s but need to pick up some curved hooks in #14 and #16. I look forward to getting the rod on the water and working on presentation. Sadly I've read that the front range creeks where these rods seem to work very well are freezing over.

Where abouts in Michigan are you? I lived in Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor for around 15 or so years, moving the Colorado just last year.