View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 02:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How to revitalize quills?

Place a cup of warm tap water on your tying bench and place as many quills in the water as you intend to use. They will be good as new in half an hour. I always soak peacock before using them and it is almost always necessary for stripped hackles from a chicken cape also. All of those fancy Spey flies I tie have goose shoulder that have been bleach burned, then I strip half the fibers before dying them. When I tie I tie with wet feathers that are soaking in a cup on the bench. This way there is very seldom a problem when winding the stems.

Wet hackled fly, they look normal when they dry.
Click the image to open in full size.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;