View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 AM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light
Default Iowa Driftless in December

I recently moved to North Carolina, but I'm heading back to Minnesota for the holidays. I'm planning on fishing with the guy who taught me how to fly fish for a day. Since both Wisconsin (where he lives) and Minnesota are closed, we're planning on meeting around Decorah, Iowa for a day around Christmas. We have fished some really gnarly weather and don't mind the cold. But we need a stream that we can fish from shore. I don't know the first thing about the Iowa Driftless region, so I'm hoping someone can give some direction on where to go.

I'm not looking for any secret spots. We need a place we can fish from shore, and we both prefer fishing for wild trout.

Also, I'm figuring midge nymphs and orange or natural scuds below and maybe black midges and stoneflies up top. Swinging size 6 olive wooly buggers seems like a good idea also. This is what works for me up in Minnesota. Should I change it up for Iowa?

Thanks!