View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginner fly tying

I agree with Dakotakid, don't waste your money buying a kit. There are lots of nice vices out there. Most of us started using a basic Thompson model A vice, used it for years, nothing fancy but their sturdy and perform flawlessly for years of service, I think you can still pick them up on EBay. Nowdays I use a Peak rotary vice but you don't need all those features to get started in tying.

Do yourself a favor and get a copy of Charlie Craven's book "Basic Fly Tying", it starts out with very simple patterns and gradually gets more complex, lists all the materials and tools you will need. By following his guidance you are buying material that you will use right away instead of wasting money on material in a kit that you probably will never use.
Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books

Also there are hundreds of fly tying demonstrations on YouTube, once you have a pattern in mind, just use the search function to find a video on how to tie it.

Larry