View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Beginner fly tying

Good responses! If possible, go somewhere that sells various types & brands & try them out. I tie on a Regal & like it, but have heard there are knock off's that work just as well & are much less in price. What vise you choose is a very personal thing that you should be comfortable using.

As far as materials, pick a few fly patterns & buy only what you need to tie them until you get more into it. That way you won't be spending money on materials you may not really have a use for. Plus, there are many good fly patterns that can be tied with craft store materials that you may be able to get nearby, and save some money in the process.

Keep the patterns simple too, which will aid you in the learning process, and also help limit the materials you'll need. I'm primarily a warmwater & tidal water angler & I've been tying a long, long time & have a ton of different materials I've collected. I have found that simple patterns are what I tie most & catch the most fish on.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!