View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Reel Should I Ask Ms. Santa to bring me with a Shiny New Sage One Rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post
My first pick for a 5wt would be an bel Super 5N, second would be a Hatch Monsoon 4+. I am actually in the market for a new 5wt reel for a rod I am putting together and the four reels on my shopping list are the Super 5N, Monsoon 4+, Nautilus FWX 5/6 and the Galvan T5. To be honest I would be happy with any of them, my choice will most likely be decided on which one I can find for the best deal.

+1 for the Abel Super 5N. Both my wife and I have them on our 5 wt. rods and they're very nice reels to fish with; smooth cork drag with good, easy to feel, linear tension. I'm not sure how the weight will match up with the One blank in a 5 wt. though.

Ideally, if your wife is generous enough to give you a new rod and reel for Christmas, take the rod under the tree and take the money to go find the reel that best matches the rod for you. Weight is important if you plan to fish long days, because an unbalanced rod gets hand-heavy a lot sooner then a well balanced set up.

If you want to be precise, then don't forget to factor in the weight of the line. I balance my rods with the reel lined out with the line tip just through the tip top.

Pocono