View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 09:53 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Reel Should I Ask Ms. Santa to bring me with a Shiny New Sage One Rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal rob View Post
Thanks to everyone for their advice. Some knowledgeable people hanging out around here! I sent Ms. Santa my final Christmas wish list. I actually like liked both the Hatch 4 Plus Finatic and the Galvin T5. I'm now concerned that both may be too heavy for the Sage One 5 wt.
I am fishing a T6 on a Winston BIIX 7100 and while there are other options much lighter I wouldn't trade that setup for anything. The BIIX Is a very light rod as you likely know. In fact, when I first got the rod, I had it paired with a Lamson Velocity, then upgraded my reel. I actually prefer it with the weight of the T6. A T5 is a wonderful choice for that rod if you ask me, but I am obviously biased towards Galvan Reels. The Velocity is now relegated to backup duty.

If not Galvan, you might want to consider throwing Abel into the mix. The couple that I own are wonderful reels. A 5N Would be a great match for that rod and they do offer a Bronze finish.

I haven't fished with Bauer, Nautilus or Hatch, but know they are well regarded.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Especially when in school but at other times in life too one sometimes best be frugal. This is a personal situation issue and not a rationale to critically evaluate what constitutes quality. Someday you may be fishing high-end tackle you will appreciate it even more for having started with affordable gear. That is the way it has been for many of us. Good luck.
I couldn't agree more Sweetandsalt. There was a time, early into my fly fishing journey when I'd look at high end rods and reels and think---NO WAY would I pay that much for tackle. As I've gone through life, advanced my career I now appreciate both situations--humble beginnings and my taste for fine tackle. That's not to say that I still don't hunt out the bargains when I can find them. Closeouts are a wonderful thing.