View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 10:43 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why does my line fall all squiggly?

Quote:
I am going to try to get a video.
Good plan! Although it's nice, it is not necessary that the fly line be visable, just the entire casting stroke and as much of the rod as possible should be in the frame. It should be taken from the side.

Quote:
And you are right: I simply cannot see my fly going out behind me.

After stretching your line to remove coils, try standing sideways in a field (wind at your back) and doing pickups and laydowns along a line parallel with your feet (imaginary if no sidewalk or rope available) with the rod horizontal. Watch the loops closely in both directions and try to narrow them.

Follow the line down with the rod tip at the end of each laydown so your rod tip wll be almost touching the ground to eliminate all slack for the next pickup. If you still have slack, move away from the end of the fly line before the next pickup and lay down.

If you are getting wide loops, do you know how to narrow them?