View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whip finish direction to move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Hey, I taught myself to hand whip finish....which seems actually easier than using the tool honestly! (seems easier to get things were I want them to go)

Which direction should I wrap thread? EXample -if I'm tying a fly with the eye facing "right" (I'm right-handed and tie as such), should I wind the wraps to the right (toward to the eye) as I whip? It seems easier to tie when going in that direction, but both seem to work.

Is there a right way to do this?

Thanks,
There is a right way!

You should whip finish away from you starting away from the eye and making the thread wraps toward the eye. Wrapping it the other way makes the thread cross over the previous warps.

See the explanation below:

Whip Finish direction (Amanda--) - Fly Tying

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy