View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Inserts: wood vs. graphite

Cane rod history permeates fly rod aesthetics. Figured hardwood, nickle silver and subdued natural tones go way way back. But wait! Rods are made of plastic now. I long ago got used to anodized aluminum instead of nickle silver. Loomis used pressure impregnated stabilised wood composits in the reel seats of IMX prior to introducing the first woven carbon fiber spacer in GLX what? A quarter century ago? Wood spacers are hollowed out and can not represent a substantial weight disadvantage. I have had more issues with the metal hardware; lock rings un-threading or jamming, loose fitting hoods or hoods that got crushed beneath the cork in boating abuse (I like machined not stamped hoods), too fine threading that got unhappy with a grain of sand (how did that get there?) than I have ever has with the spacer which is just for looks. So pick your metalwork carefully; look for squared threading ,dual lock rings perhaps with a delrin compression ring between them, machined hoods perhaps ported as Orvis introduced with Helios and the spacer should suite your fancy.

One thing though about cork. Many seasons ago before woven carbon spacers or even carbon rods, my fishing partner and I bought a matching brace of Scott rods with cork grip, spacer and two aluminum sliding bands. We'd fished hard through the mayfly season and as heat built in the lowlands we took a trip up into the high country of the Sun River side of the Bob. By now our cork work was soiled by the sweat of hard fishing and my dog must have slept unusually soundly for my buddy woke up in the morning to find his Scott Pow-R-Ply (yellow glass) rod to have nothing but nubby glue residue where the cork should be. A porcupine, enjoying the salt of our labors, gnawed the cork completely away during the night!

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 12-18-2012 at 05:04 PM.