View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Reel Should I Ask Ms. Santa to bring me with a Shiny New Sage One Rod?

Ross Evolution or Galvan Torque would be my choices. They work well, are made in the USA, and have great customer service should you need it. I've looked at more expensive reels, but don't need them for my freshwater 5wt and lighter rods. Besides, you're going to be pretty upset when you see the first scratch on The One, so why compound that sorrow with a scratched $500 reel?

The important thing is getting the spool size right (on a good reel, of course). I think people tend to buy reels that are too small for fishing, or spools that are too wide. I like to be able to reel in my line quickly without worrying about the last 10 feet jamming. The Torque and Evolution reels are all about the same weight, so I usually fish with a No.2 on my 4 wts, and a 3.5 on 5 and 6 wts.

Last edited by FrankB2; 12-20-2012 at 06:47 AM.