View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 3wt set up for 1st timer

FowlHabit,
Steve is Steve Robbins the site admin and owner for this forum. He goes by the handle of The Full Creel which also is the name of his online fly shop located at http://www.thefullcreel.com. To say Steve is an avid small stream enthusist would be putting it mildly. He would be a good resource for you on small stream rods and how to fish them. Here is an article that Steve has written about small stream rods called The Perfect Small Stream Fly Rod. You could learn a lot from him. The Full Creel Fly Shop also offers 21-Day Test Drive Plan and FREE Shipping with $100 Purchase & No Sales Tax. Thats pretty hard to beat.

Your choices above are great ones. Any of them would work well for what you want to do. I own the Echo 3wt 7'6" for just this type of stream. I also use a TFO 4wt 8'6" as well for this situation. For the area you described the 7'6" in either brand would work fine. Think of it this way if your in the middle of the steam you have about 10 feet to each side so that's not much of a cast and in front of you 20 to 25 feet to cast is plenty for a small stream situation. Now this is my opinion and like certain body parts everyone has one.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry