View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What was the first fly you learned to tie?

I'm not exactly sure that I have the very first, if not the flies I have are real close to the first. I'm forced to guess because I didn't keep notes or pictures but I did know that they would probably come apart so I tossed them into a plastic container sometime in 1969. I never threw that container away and along with all my fly tying stuff it moved all over America with me for the following 43 years and it's here now.

The pictures were taken with my first digital camera with no macro function. Someday I should take a better one so you could appreciate the detail in the work.
Click the image to open in full size.

I guess I was meant to become a streamer fisherman. I learned to make many different types of fly for catching fish but streamers were in my hands & fingers from the get go. While living in PA. - GA. - VA. - CO. & AK. as the whole world around me caught 'nymph fever' I kept tying and fishing streamers. For me there is nothing that equals pitching them, controlling the line, the flies speed, depth, and exact course as they arc in a river or creek. The grab or strike if you prefer is the highlight, the payoff for your dedication. Often it is as if you have struck a large rock underwater; some fish come unhooked but it is just a thrill to have one wake you from that trance you slide into while you work the rod and line.

I think it was a streamer,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;