View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A spanking new 596 XP

Don't worry William, I will be glueing cork rings and turning the handle. It's my favorite part! I am considering adding a one burl ring at the seat, or else maybe a couple narrow bands down near the end.

Here's a question for someone with experience: how difficult is it to bore the reel seat recess into a burl ring? I've always bought the bottom ring to fit the seat. If it sounds too tricky - mind you I do not have a lathe, I will be doing the gerry-rigged drill method - I'll just buy a pre-cut ring and maybe add a couple narrow burl rings. Don't know yet.

S&S: I'm with you and will not be wrapping a hook keeper on this rod. I never use them.

The guy at Dan Craft tried to steer me away from the Recoils and sounded like he wouldn't even sell me the light wire style if I wanted them! He said he replaces a lot of the light wire variety, they don't break, but flex so much that they slip out of wraps. And the single footers are even worse. He did add that it is generally from guys showing them off to a buddy: "watch how much these flex and bend...oops!" Plus the light wires are the "singers." The heavy wire is actually lighter than the standard chromed SS guides. Good guy, I appreciated his advice in not selling me those even though they are more expensive.

As for colors ... pfff ... don't know yet. I'm open to any suggestion. In the past I've always gone with a color that matches the blank pretty closely. But I do kind of like what Loomis did with the NRX and that sky blue thread, not that I am going to do that. And I dislike gold, there will be not gold trim on my rods!