View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Rod for my Wife

Thanks for the kind words, Dean and wt_bash!

The recess is in the rubberized cork ring on the end of the grip. I like putting these on both ends, but especially on the reel seat end. They help prevent the cork from chipping away either during the recessing process or just through regular wear. That said, it's not bad to recess. Once the grip is glued up and shaped, I start with drill bits a touch larger than the hole in the ring and work my way up using regular bits than spade bits. I just hold the grip in my hands, not the best but it works! Once I'm a bit smaller than the needed ID I switch to a sanding drum. I find the spade bit can leave a rough edge and the sanding drum helps me smooth out the edges as I increase the recess to the needed ID.