View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Tight, strong loops that catch the fly back on the line?

With all the good input here already I have little to add but..................

A back cast seems to be the forgotten member of the success family. In order for a forward or presentation cast to be well made there must be a good back cast. What I know I learned from a book by Tom McNally long ago.

You need adequate power & line speed put into the back cast before the rod passes the 12: O' Clock position; then a slight drift of the rod to the 2: O' Clock point behind you. When the rod reaches one or two O clock (your choice) you need a firm stop of the rod.

When training yourself learn to look back and watch the line until it straitens out like a nail to your rear. When you see that you will feel it in the rod at the same time. When the line has straitened behind you it is time for the line haul with the free hand and a power stroke to forward. On forward cast the system is pretty much the same.

When you are casting long you must compensate with power and the points at which you stop the rod. It will be best to get the back cast down with a moderate length of line and then go to length incrementally. Many people are trying to push way too much line (distance) in their casting before they establish a good foundation to build on.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;