View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 11:20 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite dry fly hook....

Believe it or not, I prefer Dai Riki 125 emerger hooks for my dry flies. Even though the hooks have a slight bend and look like a scud hook, they are light wire and the wider gape really improves hooking power, especially on the smaller hooks down to 20's. In fact, I do the majority of my tying - nymphs, scuds and dry flies on the 125.

To me the problem with most regular dry fly hooks is that as the hook shrinks so does the hook gape and 20's are pretty tough to stick in a lip. Also, the Tiemco 200R has the same problem with such a narrow gape. This is just my preference, but anything I can do to improve hookups is a big plus for me.

I have a good friend who taught me to tie as well as build rods, and he will never, ever stray from a recipe. If it calls for a Tiemco 100 or 200R, that is what he will use, no exception. Too many tiers seem to think that they "must" stick to the recipe when tying is all about creativity for me as well as effectiveness. I'm not knocking the school of sticking to established norms, but straying from the path has brought great rewards for me.

Here are a few of my dry flies tied on the Dai Riki 125 emerger hooks:

Flav thorax dry:
Click the image to open in full size.

Mahogany Dun thorax dry:

The Yellow Sallies shown here are on 125's (as are all the other nymphs, damsels and parasols, and scuds):

And, of course, my emerger patterns, but then this hook is a natural for this type of fly:

KG's CDC Para-emerger PMD:

KG's CDC Parasol BWO - two versions:

Also, at $5.95 for 50 hooks and $9.95 for 100 hooks from my local fly shop, they are the best deal around. Some say the hooks are too brittle, and I admit that I have broken a very few when pinching the barb in the vise. But, I have never had a hook fail while fishing - not one. They are sharp and strong and I catch a lot of fish on them. In fact, I catch the majority of my fish on flies tied with Dai Riki 125's.

If they can hold onto and land fish like these, then the proof is in the puddin' so to speak:

Just my two cents...

Best Fishes!

Kelly.