View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What vise do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drahcirb View Post
I'm just starting to get into fly tying. I am wondering what would be a good vise in the 100 to 200 dollar range. also what kind of options are essential ie bobbin holder?I seen a vise on YouTube that spun the hook. Is this a gimmick? I have a cheap vise right now that has no options and grips the hooks so poorly which makes fly tying no fun.
Thanks
Laughed out loud when I read that. "Dollars to Donuts" (you have to be 'old' to remember that one) its a 'Thompson' clamp sort of thing. Every cheap 'beginners kit' has one inside. God I hated those!

But, back on point. Take a few hooks (sizes you intend to tie) to a GOOD fly shop and try some out with the different hooks. I typically use a HMH and had to buy a second set of 'jaws.' The stock ones will hold a 6/0 4X Shark hook, but a size 12 and down? Not a chance in xxxx, real terms.

Watch the 'classifieds' here, speypages, etc., for used equipment. Not a thing wrong buying good 'second hand.' As for a full rotary? Just my .02 cents but the number of times I use that function over a years time can be counted on my finger tips. Being able to 'rotate' (not spin) IS a good thing.

That's a handy function.