View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I too am going to montana and jackson hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs chops View Post
Hey guys I am also planning a vacation in early june to jackson hole and to yellowstone. the difference is I am a complete Newb. I wont have money for a guide either and was hoping to get some info from you guys on where i should stay that would have some fishing close by. . .
I was up in Jackson Hole a couple of years ago (stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge) on a "family vacation". Hadn't fly-fished in decades, but at my wife's insistence took along my fly rod, even though I figured it would be not worth much in full run-off season. As it happened, while the rivers were full run-off, the lakes that are part of the Snake River system were easily fishable, and I had great dry-fly fishing in stream outlets going into the lakes (Jenny Lake in particular). Best advice I got in Jackson Hole was from Will Dornan's in Moose, a few miles north of Jackson. Their suggested flies really hit well - better than those suggested by Jack Dennis' in Jackson. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Firehole River in Yellowstone also fishes well in what is normally run-off season, largely due to the hot springs feeding into it which keeps the river warmer than other rivers in the area.

This trip was what really got me back into fly-fishing; caught a huge Cutthroat on 30-year-old 6x tippit (so much for the arguments about tippit's shelf life), and that was enough to get me back into this greatest of all pursuits. Man, I wish I was going back this year after last year's trip was "blown out" (pun intended) by Hurricane Ike.