Thread: My first fly
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My first fly

Great start. I love the blue/white theme you have going. Your heads look great for first flies. Really great. I use blue/white Clousers more than anything. If I can give you a tip though. To keep the materials from working loose and the fly falling apart, put a clump of what you are using on and get a couple of turns of thread to hold it in place. Cut the tag end off at an angle leaning back at the tail. Put a bit of head cement in the ends of the material and start doing wraps just shy of thread breaking hard. I use white 140 ultra thread and it becomes pretty transparent when you do this so the head ends up the color of the fly. In the case of yours, blue on top and white on the bottom. The best part of it is that it glues all the fibers in so when a tooth gets in the fly it does not pull hair out of the head. When hair gets pulled out of them they are dead within minutes.

Your photo where you held it in the water is another good trick. If you get a fly that 'puffs' up more than is good, run it in as hot water as your fingers can stand. Place it on a paper towel or washcloth and fold it over. Place a weight on it to keep it in place till it dries. It will stay that way even after use.

Your flies are really looking great especially for the first ones you have done.